- Cooking Time: about 15 minutes
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryReprinted from Celi-Yak News Fall 2013
These easy-to-make crackers are crisp and flavorful. They’re
delicious on their own and ideal for any place you want to enjoy graham crackers, such as in pie crusts and smores. Double or triple the recipe. In fact, keep a mixture of the dry ingredients on hand so you can whip these up in short order. They’re egg free and can be made dairy free, as instructed.
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, dairy-free margarine or shortening of choice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine flours and arrowroot. Add sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, guar gum and salt. Whisk to mix well. Add butter and mix with pastry blender (or your hands) until well combined.
- In another bowl, add honey, water and vanilla and mix well.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients. Use a spatula to mix batter by turning over into itself or use a food processor and pulse just until mixed.
- Roll dough into a ball. Refrigerate 15 minutes or overnight.
- When dough is chilled, place it on a sheet of parchment paper that has been cut to the size of your baking sheet.
- Using a plastic bag or another sheet of parchment paper on top, roll out dough to a thickness of 1/8 to 1/4 inch.
- Cut dough into 2-inch squares and leave on parchment paper.*
- (A pizza cutter works great for this.)
- Gather up smaller pieces, re-roll and add to baking sheet, making sure all crackers are on parchment paper.
- Prick holes in dough with a fork.
- Chill in refrigerator 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Prepare topping by mixing 1 teaspoon sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over crackers, if desired.
- Place dough in preheated oven and bake 15 minutes or until crackers start to brown on edges. (If crackers are thicker than 1/4")