- Cooking Time:
- Servings: enuf for 3 mixes
- Preparation Time:
- 3 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (I used Saigon)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shortening
- To make the mix:
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, cloves and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender - or your fingers - I used my hands after a couple of swipes with the blender (I think you could do it in the food processor - but not really necessary)
- Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- For each gift, spoon 1 3/4 cups of the mix into a plastic bag or jar. Seal and store up to 6 weeks at room temperature (up to 6 mos. in freezer).
- Include instructions with the gift/mix.
- Scone Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 1 3/4 cups scone mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbs. milk
- 1 Tbs. molasses
- More milk and sugar for garnish, if desired
- Pour the scone mix into a medium size bowl and make a "well" in the center of mixture.
- Beat egg - in a small bowl - or measuring cup - add molasses and milk and combine with beaten egg. Pour liquid into the "well" of the dry mixture and combine well until well moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 10 times or until the dough is smooth. Form a 6 to 8 in. circle (depending on how thick you want your scones) and cut into 8 wedges. (they are generous) Place wedges 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush w/ additional milk and sprinkle with sugar if desired. (I did this and it adds a nice touch)
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are brown. Serve warm.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Italy or Bust
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Julia Child's Supremes de Volaille Archiduc
Chicken MoleSee More