- Cooking Time:
- Servings: enuf for 3 mixes
- Preparation Time:
- 3 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (I used Saigon)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shortening
- To make the mix:
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, cloves and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender - or your fingers - I used my hands after a couple of swipes with the blender (I think you could do it in the food processor - but not really necessary)
- Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- For each gift, spoon 1 3/4 cups of the mix into a plastic bag or jar. Seal and store up to 6 weeks at room temperature (up to 6 mos. in freezer).
- Include instructions with the gift/mix.
- Scone Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 1 3/4 cups scone mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbs. milk
- 1 Tbs. molasses
- More milk and sugar for garnish, if desired
- Pour the scone mix into a medium size bowl and make a "well" in the center of mixture.
- Beat egg - in a small bowl - or measuring cup - add molasses and milk and combine with beaten egg. Pour liquid into the "well" of the dry mixture and combine well until well moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 10 times or until the dough is smooth. Form a 6 to 8 in. circle (depending on how thick you want your scones) and cut into 8 wedges. (they are generous) Place wedges 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush w/ additional milk and sprinkle with sugar if desired. (I did this and it adds a nice touch)
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are brown. Serve warm.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More