- Cooking Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 10 large slices
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryReprinted from Celi-Yak News - Fall 2010
Gluten and dairy free apple zucchini spice bread is an easy, moist GF quick bread recipe. Freshly shredded apples and zucchini lend flavor to this fragrant, fall inspired gluten and dairy free quick bread recipe.Another benefit of adding fresh fruit and vegetables to quick bread recipes is that you can cut back on the amount of gluten-free flour called for, an easy way to save money and add nutrition to your gluten-free diet.
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour (use your favorite product - I used Pamela's GF Bread and Flour Mix in this recipe with good results)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Spectrum Vegetable Shortening
- OR your favorite dairy free butter substitute
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 lightly beaten large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded apple (do not peel apples)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (do not peel zucchini)
- Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C
- Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan
- Combine GF all purpose flour baking soda,
- GF baking powder, salt and spices in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl combine sugar and vegetable shortening and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat just until combined.
- Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and add shredded apples and zucchini.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Use a large spatula to scrape the batter into
- prepared loaf pan.
- Smooth top and bake in preheated oven for about 55 minutes or
- until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Yield: About 10 large slices