- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- Servings: 4 - 6
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
BackstoryReprinted from Celi-Yak News - Fall 2009
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour mix (use your favorite mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Italian herb seasoning blend OR gluten-free garlic powder
- 1 large egg and 1 tablespoon olive oil, whisked together
- 1 cup crushed gluten-free rice chex cereal
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil for pan-frying
- 1/4 cup canola oil for pan-frying
- Place chicken breast between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound with a smooth meat mallet until about breasts are 1/4-inch thick.
- Repeat with each breast.
- Use a sharp knife to cut pounded breasts in 2-inch strips. Then cut each strip into 2x2 inch nuggets.
- Have ready 3-8-inch shallow baking dishes.
- In the first dish, combine gluten-free all purpose flour, salt, pepper and seasonings.
- In second dish, combine egg and olive oil.
- Whisk to thoroughly combine.
- In third dish, combine crushed gluten-free rice chex cereal and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Coat each chicken strip in flour mixture, then dip in egg olive oil mixture and last, evenly coat with rice chex crumb Parmesan cheese mixture.
- Place the nuggets on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before frying.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat olive oil and canola oil mixture over medium high heat.
- Add coated chicken nuggets and cook until golden, about 4 minutes, then turn each piece and cook second side.