- Cooking Time: 6 hours
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
BackstoryReprinted from Celi-Yak News Winter 2011
Prepare this traditional gluten-free stuffing recipe in a slow cooker (crockpot) and you free up valuable shelf space in your oven for roasting turkey and baking pies! This recipe is adapted to gluten-free diets from a recipe by Linda Larsen
- 1 cup butter or your favorite dairy-free butter substitute
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 (8 oz.) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 12 cups day old bread cubes, dried overnight (about
- 1 pound of gluten-free bread)
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free garlic powder
- 3 1/2 cups gluten-free chicken or gluten-free turkey broth
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- To dry gluten-free bread, let cubed bread stand, uncovered overnight on a wire rack, or bake in a 200 degree F oven for about 20 minutes, until dry
- but not browned.
- Melt butter over low heat in a large skillet.
- Add onions, celery, parsley, and mushrooms.
- Saute for about 3 minutes while stirring to prevent burning.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Add vegetable mixture and seasonings to bread and toss well.
- Pour in about 1/4 cup broth at a time, gently stirring to moisten bread cubes.
- Continue to add gradually add broth until ingredients are moist. (Avoid over moistening to prevent "soggy" dressing.)
- Add eggs and stir with a large spatula to thoroughly blend.
- Spoon dressing into a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours.
- Check dressing periodically and drizzle with more gluten-free broth if the dressing appears to be drying out