- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis recipe is an adaptation of one I had found in a newspaper clipping. I made it for my SIL-who hated coconut. She insisted there was no coconut in it, and she is a very calorie-aware person-and she liked it so much that she ate 3 huge pieces! You should try it, and see. I also gave my SIL the recipe, which she begged for, and she NEVER made it-because she still doesn't believe that something that delicious could be made with a cake mix! :O)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded or flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
- one 18.5 oz. package German chocolate cake mix
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 stick (1/4 pound) softened butter or margarine
- 16 oz. (1 pound) box sifted powdered sugar
- Generously grease a 13" X 9" X 2" baking pan. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Mix together the coconut and the pecans or walnuts and sprinkle evenly into the well-greased pan. Set aside.
- Prepare the German chocolate cake mix, according to package directions; pour over the coconut-pecan or coconut-walnut mixture. Warm the cream cheese and the butter or margarine; stir in the sifted powdered sugar. Mix well. Spoon the butter-cream cheese or margarine-cream cheese mixture over the cake batter in the pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely before serving.
- Some people like using a spoon and eatting this cake straight from the pan. I wait until it is completely cooled and the cream cheese and the butter or margarine and the powdered sugar form a gooey, delicious frosting that sinks to the bottom of the pan
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Deliciously Healthy at NCI
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Healthy French 'Toast'
Shaker Lemon Pie by Robin SindelarSee More