- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded or flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
- one 18.5 oz. package German chocolate cake mix
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 stick (1/4 pound) softened butter or margarine
- 16 oz. (1 pound) box sifted powdered sugar
- Generously grease a 13" X 9" X 2" baking pan. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Mix together the coconut and the pecans or walnuts and sprinkle evenly into the well-greased pan. Set aside.
- Prepare the German chocolate cake mix, according to package directions; pour over the coconut-pecan or coconut-walnut mixture. Warm the cream cheese and the butter or margarine; stir in the sifted powdered sugar. Mix well. Spoon the butter-cream cheese or margarine-cream cheese mixture over the cake batter in the pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely before serving.
- Some people like using a spoon and eatting this cake straight from the pan. I wait until it is completely cooled and the cream cheese and the butter or margarine and the powdered sugar form a gooey, delicious frosting that sinks to the bottom of the pan
NotesThis recipe is an adaptation of one I had found in a newspaper clipping. I made it for my SIL-who hated coconut. She insisted there was no coconut in it, and she is a very calorie-aware person-and she liked it so much that she ate 3 huge pieces! You should try it, and see. I also gave my SIL the recipe, which she begged for, and she NEVER made it-because she still doesn't believe that something that delicious could be made with a cake mix! :O)