- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 pound medium sea scallops
- 2 cups Miso-Citrus Marinade
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil, plus 1/4 cup more, if needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- With a spoon scrape the gills from the mushroom caps. Set aside the caps.
- Toss the scallops with the marinade in a medium bowl. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- Prepare a grill, a grill pan, or a large sauté pan over high heat until hot, and spray the grid with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lightly rub the portobellos with 2 tablespoons of the oil and season with salt and pepper. If using a pan, add 2 additional tablespoons of oil and swirl to coat the pan. Grill or sauté the mushrooms, turning once, until brown, 8 to 10 minutes total. Transfer the mushrooms to a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap so the mushrooms can steam to complete their cooking, about 15 minutes. Cut the mushrooms into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Remove the scallops from the marinade and wipe to remove excess marinade. Encircle each scallop with 1 or 2 portobello slices then insert a skewer through the center to make a "handle" and hold the mushroom in place. Place 2 scallops on each skewer. If using a pan, reheat over high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and swirl to coat the pan. Lightly pepper the scallops and, working in batches, if using a pan, sauté the lollipops, turning once, until the scallops are cooked, about 3 minutes per side. If using a grill, grill until the scallops are cooked through, turning once, about 2 minutes on each side.
- If serving as an hors d'oeuvre, arrange the lollipops on an oval platter. To serve as a starter, divide the greens among 4 plates. Top with the lollipops, squeeze the juice from the lemon over the lollipops, and serve.