- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp Ghee or clarified butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- Sufficient vegetable oil for deep fat frying
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- First make the syrup.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water over moderate heat, stiring constantly.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until mixture has thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile combine all the dry ingredients and using your fingertips, beat in the butter.
- Add the water and knead until it forms a slightly soft dough.
- Set aside at room temp for 30 minutes.
- Shape into small balls.
- Fill deep frying pan 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350F on deep fat thermometer or until a small cube of bread dropped in turns golden in 55 seconds.
- Carefully lower the balls into the oil a few at a time and fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and crisp and rise to the surface.
- As they brown, transfer them to the syrup mixture.
- When they are all cooked, remove the syrup from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. 4 - 6 servings.
NotesWe have a Folklore Festival every year around Mother's Day. I go from booth to booth trying new to me foods. This sweet I found in an East Indian booth.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook CafeSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
The Best Baked Potato SoupSee More