GADO-GADO SAUS KACANG - GADO-GADO PEANUT SAUCE
- 1 1/2 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons tamarind or fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup extra crunchy peanut butter
- pinch of lemon grass*
- 1 teaspoon gula djawa* (Indonesian palm sugar) or dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Ketjap Manis Sedang* (Indonesian Medium Sweet Soy Sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek* (Indonesian red pepper paste)
- peanut or canola oil for frying
Heat oil in wok or skillet and sauté onion and garlic until onion is brown and crisp.
Add peanut butter, tamarind or lemon juice, lemon grass, sambal oelek, sugar and soy sauce. Stir until it starts to fry then add enough water to make a thick sauce.
The peanut oil will seperate, but just stir until warmed.
For something spicier add more sambals at dinner time.
Serve over Gado-gado.
These products can be purchased at your local Oriental food market such as 99 Ranch Markets or on line.