- Cooking Time: 70 minutes
- Servings: 8 OR 1
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
BackstoryThis recipe was given to my mom at the hair dressers in the 60’s by a woman in her 60's or 70's. She said she had it in her family a very long time. We have held onto this for over 40 some years now. We have never made it. I made it few months ago. This was better than any pound cake recipe I have been trying so far. The crumb, texture, and sweetness everything about this was addictive. This recipe has to be easily over 80 years old. You won't be able to stop at one piece. I love my poundcake toasted with sweet butter. How do you like your pound cake served? Yumm.
- •3 sticks of butter or margarine (**I used Fleishman’s unsalted margarine 3 sticks softened)
- •3 cups flour ( I used white lily all purpose flour, this was incredible)
- •1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- •2 ¼ cups sugar (I used it all it was not overly sweet)
- •¾ cup of milk
- •1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla or other flavoring
- •6 eggs (I used the large size)
- 1.Original instructions:
- 2.Do not sift, put everything in the mixing bowl together. Beat on high speed for 10 minutes. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes in a greased tube pan. Do not preheat the oven. Let cool one hour. (No baking time given)
- 3.My instructions: Do not sift anything.
- 4.In mixing bowl add: margarine, sugar, eggs. Mix for like one quick minute until just combined somewhat still lumpy. Add flour, baking powder milk, vanilla. Mix on high for 10 minutes. If using Kitchen aid mixer, start slowly and continue to mix on medium or #4. I baked mine in a long angel food pan, greased. I baked it at 325. As the recipe said it baked for exactly 1 hour and 20 minutes. I started testing after 1 hour. Let cool.
- 5.**I used margarine because in my pound cakes the butter seems to marbalize. I am a total butter (sweet) person. I found the Fleismans best in this recipe.
- 6.It looked beautiful in the long loaf pan as well. This make a very large cake. So be sure you have a very large bundt pan. I bought this “long” angel food loaf pan for .50 at a yard sale I have used it so many times. The best thing I ever bought for .50!!!! LOL. I have had it for over 16 years now and cleans up great looks brand new still.