- Cooking Time: 150
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstoryGarlic lovers will die for this wonderful roast. The garlic comes out buttery, soft and melts in your mouth along with the beef. The onions and carrots make this a complete meal, however I always make my mashed potatoes to accompany it and thicken the pan juices with a cornstarch slurry for gravy. You can also make this in a crockpot, sear the meat in a pan and then transfer to crock and follow remainder of the steps. Cook on low 6-8 hrs, adding carrots for the last hour of cooking.
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast 3-4 lbs
- 15 cloves of garlic, peeled (about 1 head)
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tblsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 lb baby carrots or carrots cut in 2-3 inch pieces
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F.
- Salt & pepper both sides of roast. With a sharp knife cut slits in roast and insert garlic (shove it down into the meat so it stays put).
- Heat dutch oven over high heat and brown meat in oil, both sides.
- Remove from heat, place bay leaves on top of roast, top with onion slices. Drizzle butter over the onions. Add water to the pan. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Baste roast with pan juices; add carrots. Cover and bake additional 45-60 minutes or until meat and carrots are tender.
- Remove roast and veggies to serving platter. Remove bay leaves and discard. Thicken pan juices if desired. Let roast stand for 10 minutes.