- Cooking Time: 150
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast 3-4 lbs
- 15 cloves of garlic, peeled (about 1 head)
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tblsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 lb baby carrots or carrots cut in 2-3 inch pieces
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F.
- Salt & pepper both sides of roast. With a sharp knife cut slits in roast and insert garlic (shove it down into the meat so it stays put).
- Heat dutch oven over high heat and brown meat in oil, both sides.
- Remove from heat, place bay leaves on top of roast, top with onion slices. Drizzle butter over the onions. Add water to the pan. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Baste roast with pan juices; add carrots. Cover and bake additional 45-60 minutes or until meat and carrots are tender.
- Remove roast and veggies to serving platter. Remove bay leaves and discard. Thicken pan juices if desired. Let roast stand for 10 minutes.
NotesGarlic lovers will die for this wonderful roast. The garlic comes out buttery, soft and melts in your mouth along with the beef. The onions and carrots make this a complete meal, however I always make my mashed potatoes to accompany it and thicken the pan juices with a cornstarch slurry for gravy. You can also make this in a crockpot, sear the meat in a pan and then transfer to crock and follow remainder of the steps. Cook on low 6-8 hrs, adding carrots for the last hour of cooking.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Holiday "Butt" Stuffing
Pumpkin Pie With Perfect Pie Crust
Nacho Cheese DipSee More