- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
Backstorythis is from my friend Alexis who is a Texas girl through and through ... since making this pot roast the first time last year, I won't make any other.
- 2+ lb chuck roast (I cut most of the fat off but it's up to the cook)
- garlic cloves, quartered lengthwise
- beef soup base
- season salt
- black pepper
- veggies, I use:
- new potatoes, quartered with skin*
- celery, sliced*
- onions, sliced*
- large carrots, cut into 1" pieces* OR
- baby carrots
- mushrooms, sliced
- green beans
- For the veggies: place the sliced onions at the bottom of your crockpot and then the potatoes and the carrots and celery.
- For the roast: take a knife and make various incisions all over the roast. Shove the quartered garlic cloves into these incisions. Then rub the season salt, black pepper and beef soup base all over the roast and place it in the crockpot on top of your veggies. Turn the crockpot to low and cook all day while at work. You don't need any liquid in the pot; the beef soup base mixes with the juices from the meat when it's cooking and forms a wonderful au jus.
- When you come home from work, enjoy the heavenly smell in your house and add the more fragile veggies for 30 minutes more