- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 quarts chicken broth or vegetable broth
- fresh ground pepper (to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sage (or 2 leaves fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1 pinch rosemary
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 6-8 slices of toasted Italian bread or French bread
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese
Saute garlic in oil until slightly browned.
Heat broth and wine until hot but not boiling.
Add garlic, oil, spices and herbs, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
Remove bay leaf from pot and puree soup.
Return pureed soup to pot and continue simmering.
Add cream to egg yolks, then add a bit of soup and mix well.
Add egg mixture to the pot and simmer for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
Place a toast slice in each bowl, ladle soup over toast slice and sprinkle with cheese.
Serve and enjoy!