GEMELLI PASTA WITH TOMATO-BUTTER SAUCE
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 medium to large ripe tomatoes
- cut in half and whizzed in the food
- processor till chunky, or just coarsely chopped by hand,
- or a 28-ounce can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
- a few torn leaves of fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a medium-large sauté pan. When it foams, add the minced garlic. Cook just until the garlic is fragrant (do not come anywhere near browning it, or it will be bitter), then add the tomatoes and basil. Stir, and simmer over medium heat for about 45 minutes, or until reduced by about a third (if using canned tomatoes, you don't have to cook it this long, just 20 minutes or so). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toward the end of the cooking time for the sauce, heat salted water in a pot to boiling and add the gemelli or other pasta. Cook until al dente,drain, and toss with the sauce until nicely coated. Serve warm, with slivered fresh basil and freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese on top if desired.
- Contributor: FamilyFood
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More