- Cooking Time: 35 minutes + cooling
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstoryFEATURING: Beets, potatoes, onion, green onions, beans (green or yellow) and basil.
Here's a very palatable and beautiful magenta recipe I use to make all the time when beets where in season when I worked in Cuba. I believe it is a version I adapted from a Russian or Ukrainian potato recipe (that uses dill and pickles instead of basil, like the one referenced in the recipe). It's meant to be served at room temperature but I often eat it warm. Chopped green onions really go well in the recipe. You can make it with Mayonnaise or more Dijon if you don't have vinegar handy (or if you want to explore).
WARNING: Beware when handling beets as they can stain!
- 2 large raw beetroots, whole (but greens removed, leaving 1-2 inches of the beet green stems) (approx. 1 1/2 cup once chopped)
- 2 large white potatoes, whole (approx. 1 1/2 cup once chopped)
- 1 large carrot, whole
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 cup fresh beans or peas, diced in 1 cm coins (optional- frozen also work) (optional)
- 3-6 fresh basil leaves, chiffonnaded (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, chopped for garnish (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1. Put water in a steamer. Once water is hot, steam the beets, potatoes, and carrot in skin for 35 minutes (or until tender when inserted with a fork), remove carrots at a 20 minute mark as it takes less time to cook. Turn off the heat, take the lid off and set aside to cool.
- 2. Combine salad dressing ingredients and put aside.
- 3. Once cooled down, peel beets (you can also peel the potatoes but I don't), cut the beets, potatoes and carrot into small cubes.
- 4. In a medium salad bowl, combine the onions, fresh beans and the steamed veggies. Add the dressing and mix well (the beets will colour everything magenta). Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the basil and green onions. Serve and enjoy.