- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 lb dark leafy green veggies (ex.: 6-7 Swiss Chard leaves with stem + 5-6 leaves of Kale)
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small red onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (or 1 garlic scape, chopped)
- ½ tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 2 green chillies, seeded and sliced
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2-3 cardamom seeds
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1-1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Wash the dark leafy greens, then finely chop the leaved and stalks. NOTE: If using kale, you may want to strip the leaves from the stalks.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onions until browned. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry with the onions for a few minutes, then add the fenugreek seeds, cardamom seeds and the chillies and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add a little of the stock or water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the greens, red pepper and the remaining stock or water. Season with salt and pepper, mix well, then cover and cook over low heat for about 15 minutes or until the dark leafy greens are well cooked and tender.
NotesThis dish is simple yet delicious and it happens to be a great way to use up any dark green veggies you might have at hand (kale, swiss chard, spinach, etc.) I usually make it with a simple salad (romaine, tomatoes, lemon juice, oil and salt, etc.) as well as with Mesir Wat (lentils in a berbere sauce). FYI, many Ethiopian restaurants sell Injera bread so you can now cook Ethiopian at home!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Home cookingSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More