GEN'S ETHIOPIAN ABESHA GOMEN (SWISS CHARD & KALE)
Gen's Ethiopian Abesha Gomen (Swiss Chard & Kale)
- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 lb dark leafy green veggies (ex.: 6-7 Swiss Chard leaves with stem + 5-6 leaves of Kale)
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small red onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (or 1 garlic scape, chopped)
- ½ tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 2 green chillies, seeded and sliced
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2-3 cardamom seeds
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1-1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Wash the dark leafy greens, then finely chop the leaved and stalks. NOTE: If using kale, you may want to strip the leaves from the stalks.
Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onions until browned. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry with the onions for a few minutes, then add the fenugreek seeds, cardamom seeds and the chillies and fry for 30 seconds.
Add a little of the stock or water and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the greens, red pepper and the remaining stock or water. Season with salt and pepper, mix well, then cover and cook over low heat for about 15 minutes or until the dark leafy greens are well cooked and tender.
Website Credit: http://westher.home.xs4all.nl/recepten/ABESHA%20GOMEN%20(in%20English).htm