- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 3 Tbsp oil (ex.: sunflower, safflower, canola)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 Tbsp of dried basil
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cabbage (or green beans or okra), chopped
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup pattypan (or zucchini)
- 1 sweet potato, diced in 2 cm cubes
- 1/2 cup of broccoli (or kohlrabi), chopped
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 can of kidney beans, washed and drained
- 1 Tbsp of fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pot. Saute onions till translucent. Add celery, red pepper, and garlic. Fry for 5-7 min, until lightly brown.
- Add the bay leaf and basil and cook for 2 min. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, swiss chard, sweet potato and broccoli. Reduce heat and simmer 5 min.
- Add the rice, salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 min, stirring occasionnally.
- Add the beans and coriander. Cook for 5 min. Make sure to take the pot off the burner just before the rice is ready to avoid burning the bottom of the pot. Cover and let stand for 5-10 min (the rice will absorb the leftover cooking juice). Serve hot & enjoy!
NotesJambalaya is one of our favorite comfort foods! Our young kid loves it too! Not only is it easy to make, I always adapt it depending on what’s in season!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Holiday "Butt" Stuffing
Pumpkin Pie With Perfect Pie Crust
Nacho Cheese DipSee More