- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2-4 ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 to 1 onion, thinly sliced (and soaked in cold water to reduce the taste)
- 2 lebanese cucumber, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chunked (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup Kalamata black olives, pitted
- Several sprigs fresh basil, about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 block of Greek feta or greek feta-style tofu (optional)
- 1/4 cup (a couple of glugs) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (3 splashes) of rice wine or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in palm of your hand
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine vegetables, olives, and basil in a large bowl. Rest sliced feta (or feta-style tofu) on the top of salad. Combine oil, vinegar, and oregano in a small plastic container with a lid. Shake vigorously to combine oil and vinegar and pour over salad and cheese. Season with salt and pepper and let the salad marinate until ready to serve.
NotesThis is an easy and refreshing recipe that was shared to me by a cousin who worked in a Greek restaurant. The secret ingredients are rice wine vinegar (if you have some but red wine vinegar also works) and basil.