- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryThis is an easy and refreshing recipe that was shared to me by a cousin who worked in a Greek restaurant. The secret ingredients are rice wine vinegar (if you have some but red wine vinegar also works) and basil.
- 2-4 ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 to 1 onion, thinly sliced (and soaked in cold water to reduce the taste)
- 2 lebanese cucumber, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chunked (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup Kalamata black olives, pitted
- Several sprigs fresh basil, about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 block of Greek feta or greek feta-style tofu (optional)
- 1/4 cup (a couple of glugs) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (3 splashes) of rice wine or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in palm of your hand
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine vegetables, olives, and basil in a large bowl. Rest sliced feta (or feta-style tofu) on the top of salad. Combine oil, vinegar, and oregano in a small plastic container with a lid. Shake vigorously to combine oil and vinegar and pour over salad and cheese. Season with salt and pepper and let the salad marinate until ready to serve.