- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20
BackstoryFeaturing: basil, cucumber, garlic scapes, green pepper, onion (or scallions), pattypan squash, white turnip (rabioles), and zucchini.
This is a quick and simple summer salad that is perfect for hot summer days. Kids usually like it too and you can adapt it based on what veggies you have (ex: put more zucchini if you don't have pattypan, add grated or diced carrots, etc.) Jim often add a bit of 6 years old balsamic vinegar to his bowl before eating it!
- 500 g of pasta (fusilli or penne), cooked, drained and cooled
- 1 scallion (or the top of fresh onion or 1/4 storage onion), chopped
- 1 garlic scape (or 1/2 garlic clove), minced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half-quarters slices or diced
- 1 pattypan squash, cut in half-quarters slices or diced
- 1 cucumber, cut in half-quarters slices or diced
- 4 white turnips (rabioles), cut in half-quarters slices or diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or 1-2 tomatoes, diced)
- 1 can of red kidney beans or lentils, rinsed (optional)
- 1/4-1/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- Ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 bunch basil, chopped
- Cook pasta according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large glass or plastic bowl (not metal), mix the scallion, garlic scape, zucchini, pattypan, cucumber, white turnip, green pepper, tomatoes and red kidney beans.
- Add cooled pasta and mix well.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and basil. Mix well.
- Refrigerate a bit (optional) and serve cold or at room temperature.