- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryAs far as I understand it, Thai dishes often try to balance four different flavours, or shall we call them, the 4'S: Salty, Sweet, Sour, Spicy.
The following recipe, which I discovered on Best Recipes ever and ever so slightly modified, does just that. This Thai mango salad is always a big hit and really taste like something you would order at a good Thai restaurant.
- 1/2 cup of peanuts
- 2 firm mangoes
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 4 cups lettuce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh Thai basil (and/or mint and/or coriander)
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil (or another very light-tasting oil)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp minced hot pepper
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- In skillet, toast peanuts over medium heat until fragrant and dark golden, about 8 minutes. Chop and set aside.
- Peel, pit and thinly slice mangoes lengthwise. Seed, core and thinly slice red pepper. Set aside.
- In large bowl (or Masson Jar), whisk together oil, lime juice, tamari, sugar, hot pepper, salt and pepper.
- Add mangoes, red pepper, carrots, mixed greens, green onions and thai basil; toss to coat.
- Serve sprinkled with peanuts.