- Cooking Time: 75
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryFEATURING: Basil, eggplant, garlic, leek, pepper and zucchini.
This is just another variation of my vegetable love pizza recipe (http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Gen%27s-Vegetable-Love-Pizza/56308/#.U-oeeVboSrw). It just goes to prove that I simply put on my pizza whichever vegetable I have at hand... in this case, zucchinis and eggplant!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons traditional yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2-3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, rinsed and finely chopped (or 1/4 onion, chopped)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (or 1 garlic scape)
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 1/2 eggplant, cubed (or 1 carrot, chopped)
- 1-2 zucchinis or pattypan squash, chopped in half-moons
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- A few spoonfuls of basil pesto (optional- here's a recipe I use, often without the nutritional yeast: bit.ly/1sUiJee)
- A few spoonfuls of tomato sauce (home-made or store bought)
- 1/4 block of firm tofu (or cheese)
- A few basil leaves, chopped (optional)
- Mix yeast, water and sugar together in a bowl. Let rest for 15 minutes (to proof the yeast). In another bowl, mix salt and flour. Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients. Knead 10 minutes, or till smooth and elastic, adding flour if necessary to keep from being sticky (if using a stand mixer, knead for 2 min at speed 2, adding flour if necessary, until the dough comes off the hook without sticking). Form the dough into a ball. Pour a bit of oil on the dough and rub all over. Cover and let rise till doubled (about 1 hour). Note: A great place to let it rise is to put it in the microwave or oven (as long as you don't turn them on). Proceed to making the topping.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the leek and garlic and sautée quickly. Add pepper and sautée for 1 min. Add the eggplant and sautée 1-2 minutes. Add the zucchini and sautée until cooked but a tad crispy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. When the dough has doubled in size, punch down. Roll with a rolling pin and place the dough on a lightly oiled pizza pan. Drizzle 1-2 tbsp of oil on top of the pizza dough and spread evenly. Add a few spoonfuls of your favourite pesto and spread evenly. Add a few spoonfuls of your favourite tomato sauce and spread evenly. Distribute the topping evenly. With your hands, crumble the tofu on top of the pizza (or just sprinkle on grated cheese). Add salt and pepper to taste and a few chopped basil leaves (optional). Cook the pizza for 15 minutes until the crust is slightly golden. As the pizza comes out of the oven, add a few more chopped basil leaves (optional). Enjoy!