- Cooking Time: 20-30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup white vinegar (depending on how tart you like it); can also use rice wine vinegar if you have it
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (can use more or less depending on heat desired)
- 2 green onions, sliced on diagonal (optional, for garnish)
- Hot cooked rice (I like basmati rice)
- Combine the first
- Pour the 1/4 cup soy sauce in a bowl and add a lightly scrambled egg and pepper. Mix well, then slowly add the cornstarch and mix until well blended.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and add to the marinade mix. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare a skillet with about an inch of peanut oil. Heat until shimmering, then fry chicken pieces a few at a time, until brown and crispy. Keep chicken warm after frying.
- Pour off any oil left in the skillet. Sprinkle the red pepper flakes in warm skillet and toast for a few minutes watching carefully not to burn them.
- Mix the remaining sauce ingredients in a bowl, then add to the warm skillet. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and stir constantly until thickened.
- Return chicken to the skillet and heat through. Garnish with sliced green onions or chives, if desired. You can also toast sesame seeds, to garnish with. Serve over hot, cooked rice (I prefer basmati rice).
NotesAfter reading many recipes and tweaking a bit, here' my take on this Chinese restaurant favorite.
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Vegan Glass Jar GoodiesSee More
Affy Taffy Pie by Molly Heron
Raspberry Poppy Seed Dressing
Chicken TetrazziniSee More