- Cooking Time: 14-17 minutes
- Servings: 8 wedges (11-inch pie)
- Preparation Time: 30 min active;4 hrs totl
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1/4-oz. package)
- 7 TBSP warm water (105-115 F.)
- 1 2/3 cups unbleached flour (all-purpose or bread), divided
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 lb. Havarti cheese, coarsely grated (or muenster cheese)
- 1/4 lb. salted mozzarella, coarsely grated
- 3-4 TBSP creamy feta cheese, crumbled
- EQUIPMENT: floured pizza pan (at least 12 inches) or floured large baking sheet
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water; stir in 1 TBSP flour. Let stand until creamy (about 5 minutes).
- Stir together salt and remining flour in large bowl; then stir in egg and yeast mixture to form a dough.
- Turn out dough onto well-floured surface. Turn to coat with flour, then knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Form into a ball; dust with flour. Let dough rest in a plastic-covered bowl, punching down with a wet fist every hour, for at least 2 hours, up to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 F with rack in middle.
- Turn out dough onto flour pizza pan, turning to coat, then flatten with fingers into a 7-inch disk,
- Toss cheeses together and press into a compact 3-inch ball with hands. Place ball into middle of dough, gather dough up around cheese, squeezing extra dough into a topknot. Press down on topknot with damp fist to press cheese out from center. Continue to flatten dough and distribute cheese evenly, pressing outward from center, until dough is an 11-inch disk.
- Cut a 6-inch "X" through top of dough to expose cheese. Bake until pale golden, 10-12 minutes. Brush surface of dough with butter and bake until golden and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes longer.
- Cool slightly. Serve cut into wedges.
NotesOur new son-in-law was born in the Republic of Georgia and grew up in Israel. One of his family's favorite dishes is khachapuri, so naturally, when he became part of our family, I had to learn how to make it. I regularly bake bread, so this was a natural to add to my baking routine. This recipe originally comes from "Gourmet" magazine and was adapted from Natia Gigani of Caucasus Travel Ltd., Republic of Georgia.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mom's Cooking Secrets
MidLife Road Trip's
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!See More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More