- Cooking Time: 90–120
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30
- ½ cup flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 veal shanks with bone, cut 3" thick
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 cups carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp dill, fresh, chopped
- 1 cup Trollinger or Black Hamburg wine
- 2 cups good quality veal or chicken stock
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp thyme, fresh
- 2 cups tomato, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp grated rind from a lemon
- 2 tsp grated rind from an orange
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chives, fresh, minced
- Serve with Spaetzle Noodles Bergkase
- Serve with Dinsztelt Wilted Greens
- Season flour with salt and pepper.
- Dredge veal shanks in flour and seasoning mixture and tap off any excess.
- Heat a large heavy bottom skillet or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, add oil and butter.
- Sear shanks on all sides.
- Add more oil and butter if needed.
- Remove the browned veal shanks and set aside.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves and dill to the pan and cook until softened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Raise heat to high, add wine and deglaze the pan.
- Return shanks to the pan.
- Add stock, caraway seeds, thyme and tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 1½ hours or until meat is tender.
- Baste the meat a few times during cooking.
- Remove cover; continue to simmer for 10 minutes to reduce sauce a bit.
- For topping: combine grated rind of the lemon and orange mix in garlic and chives; mix well and hold for service.
- To serve, place veal shank on a plate and top with sauce sprinkle with the grated rind mixture.
- Serve with Spaetzle Noodles Bergkase and Dinsztelt Wild Greens.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Foodie BabySee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More