- Cooking Time: 30-35
- Preparation Time:
- 4 oz pkg German sweet chocolate
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 3 stiff beaten egg whites
- 1/3 cup water
- Grease and lightly flour 2 8 or 9 inch pans.
- Heat chocolate and 1/3 cup water until chocolate melts; cool.
- Combine flour, soda, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Beat butter about 30 seconds, add sugar and vanilla.
- Beat until fluffy; add egg yolks, one at a time, beating 1 min after each.
- Beat in chocolate mixture.
- Add dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately to beaten mixture, beating after each addition.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Turn into pans and bake at 350 degrees for 3035 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans and cool on rack.