- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 45
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (4 ounce) bar German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 1 egg
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a medium saucepan, combine the 1/3 cup sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in the milk, chocolate, and 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Gradually stir about 1 cup of mixture into egg yolks. Return mixture to saucepan; bring to boiling. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Stir in vanilla.
- Turn the hot pie filling into the baked pie shell.
- In another saucepan, combine the beaten egg, evaporated milk, the 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup butter or margarine. Cook and stir over medium heat just till the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the coconut and pecans. Spread the pecan mixture evenly over the chocolate filling. Cool the pie on a wire rack; chill thoroughly.
- Note: By cooling the pie & crust on a wire rack, the air is able to get under the pie, That way the crust will not get soggy, it will stay flakey & firm.
NotesThis is a pie with the flavor of a German Chocolate Cake, how sweet!!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More