- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lb. washed and unpeeled red skin potatoes, quartered
- 8 ounces bacon (about 8 strips), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 tbsp. german grainy mustard
- 1/2 cup apple cidar vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 4 chive sprigs, finely chopped
- 4 dill sprigs, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1. Place potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover in large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup potato cooking water, then drain potatoes; return potatoes to pot and cover to keep warm.
- 2. While potatoes are cooking, fry bacon in large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate; pour off all but 1/4 cup bacon grease. Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally over medium heat until softened and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in sugar until dissolved, about 30 seconds. Add vinegar, oil, and reserved potato cooking water; bring to simmer and cook until mixture is reduced to about 1 cup, about 3 minutes. Off heat, whisk in herbs, mustard, and pepper. Add potatoes and bacon to skillet and toss to combine; adjust seasoning with salt. Transfer to serving bowl and serve.