- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pound piece lean round of beef
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 ounces low sodium beef broth
- 12 carrots, sliced
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 8 strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 1/2 cup red wine
- 6 small button mushrooms
- 12 small peeled white onions
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cut beef into 1 inch cubes, dredge with flour, salt and pepper. fry bacon in a heavy skillet. When bacon is brown but not crisp, remove from skillet and cut into 1 inch pieces. Place pieces in large casserole. Put garlic and floured meat in greased skillet. Brown the beef quickly on all sides. When browned add the brandy and mix thoroughly. Remove meat mixture from skillet and add to the casserole. Add butter to the skillet and let it melt. Add mushrooms to skillet and brown lightly, add to casserole. Add beef broth and 1 cup of the wine to the juices in the skillet. Bring to a boil, stirring to loosen all bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour liquid into casserole. Add the onions, carrots, peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves, marjoram, thyme and 1 teaspoon salt . Add remaining 1/2 cup wine and cover. Bake at 300F for 3 hours. This dish is even tastier the next day.
- Smaaklijk Eten!
NotesThought I would start with a Dutch recipe to commemorate the 63rd anniversary of the Bevrijdings Dag (Liberation Day) of the Netherlands.
This recipe we found in our Dutch Cookbook "Mama's Favorite Hollandse Rezepten."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.See More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More