- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 55
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (12-ounce) can soda water
- 1/2 cup rice flour, for dredging
- 2 (8-ounce) cod or haddock fillets, cut in 1/2 on an angle
- Malt vinegar, for serving
- Heat 3-inches of the oil in a deep fryer to 325 degrees F. Alternately, heat 3-inches of oil in a deep pot.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into chips, about the size of your index finger. Put the potatoes in the oil. Fry the chips for 2 to 3 minutes; they should not be crisp or fully cooked at this point. Remove the chips with a spider strainer or slotted spoon, to a paper towel-lined platter to drain.
- Crank the oil temperature up to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and egg. Pour in the soda water and whisk to a smooth batter. Spread the rice flour on a plate. Dredge the fish pieces in the rice flour and then dip them into the batter, letting the excess drip off.
- Put the chips in the bottom of the fryer basket and carefully submerge in the hot oil. Carefully wave the battered fish into the bubbling oil before dropping them in on top of the chips. Fry the fish and chips for 4 to 5 minutes until crispy and brown. Remove the basket and drain the fish and chips on paper towels; season lightly with salt. Serve wrapped in a newspaper cone with malt vinegar and/or tartar sauce.
NotesWhen we think of Seattle, we think of fresh seafood. Tthis recipe is not only fresh, it's the perfect meal for a victory against the Seattle Seahawks!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes for Vitality
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More