- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 3 dozen
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup lightly salted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped almonds or whatever nut you'd like
- 1 cup raspberry or apricot jam or prepared poppy seed filling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla and egg yolk; mix until fluffy.
- Stir in the flour, cover and refrigerate dough for 2 hours.
- Grease cookie sheets and line with parchment paper.
- Measure out the dough by teaspoonfuls, and roll into balls.
- Roll the balls into chopped nuts and set on the prepared cookie sheet 1 inch apart.
- With a finger, make an indention in each cookie, and fill the indention up with whatever filling you'd like.
- Cookies can be filled by using either a teaspoon or a pastry bag.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, cookies should be golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
NotesThis is one I always knew as Gimma's cookies, which is what my brother would answer when my grandmother would ask what he wanted her to make. I guess it's a thumbprint cookie, but to me it will always be Gimma's cookie!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
My Family Cookbook
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
The Naked MacaronSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More