- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup of molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large baking pan, melt the butter in the oven. Tilt the pan to completely coat the inside with butter, then set it aside to cool slightly.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. It's a good idea to sift the baking powder and soda to remove lumps.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the oil, the cooled melted butter, the coffee and the molasses.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just to combine. Pour the batter into the buttered pan and bake until firm and springy (the length of time will depend on the dimensions of your pan).
- Nutrition Info - Per serving (85g-wt.): 210 calories (10 from fat), 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 3g protein, 45g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 17g sugar), 40mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium
NotesThis is from Whole Foods. It sounds good and it's healthy too.