- Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups shortening (I used butter flavored)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In large mixing bowl whisk together: flour, baking soda, ginger, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl beat shortening for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and beat until well combined.
- Beat in eggs and molasses until combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Add as much of the flour mixture as your mixer can handle and fold in the rest by hand. (my KitchenAid handled the whole job nicely)
- Shape dough into 2-inch balls.
- Roll balls in the 3/4 cup coarse or granulated sugar.
- Place about 2-1/2 inches apart on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Press dough balls slightly to flatten for more even baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are LIGHLTY brown and tops are puffed.
- Do NOT overbake.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes and finish cooling on wire rack.
NotesEveryone LOVES these cookies. I will definitely be making them again!!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!See More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More