- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 3 dozen cookies
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed (I think I used dark brown cuz thats what I had)
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup margarine or shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- With your electric mixer, cream together 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter and shortening until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and continue beating until blended...then add the molasses.
- Sift together the dry ingredients....3 times! Then stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. I'd do a portion at a time...it just seems to be easier that way
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 325' F and cover a cookie sheet or two with parchment paper
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar in a shallow dish. Roll a tablespoon of dough into a ball, then roll it around in the sugar to coat
- Place the balls about 2" apart onto the parchment paper and then flatten slightly.
- (I flattened them quite a bit the first time. The second time I barely flattened and it made NO difference whatsoever to the flatness or thickness of the end result)
- Bake until golden around the edges (huh? the color never changes so I'm not sure how that works) but the middle is soft, which takes about 12 - 15 minutes. Let them set on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes then remove them to a cooling rack.
- If you want to make Gingerbread men, add an additional 1/4 cup of flour.
NotesIf you like ginger cookies...soft, yet firm, easy to cook and enjoy, then these are the ones.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Get Fit With Good Food!
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More