- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. ground ginger snaps
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 c. plus 2 tsp granulated sugar (divided)
- 3/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 7 tbsp. sour cream (divided)
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 3/4 tsp. grated lime zest (divided)
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- optional--thin julienned lime peel as garnish on the cut bars
- To make crust:
- Arrange a rack at center position and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the bottom and up sides of an 8X8 square baking dish.
- In a food processor combine the ground ginger snaps and sugar, process until well mixed, about 30 seconds.
- Add melted butter and pulse until just combined. Using your fingers, press mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake 8 minutes, then remove pan from oven to cool 15 minutes.
- To make filling:
- In a mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in 1/4 cup of sugar and cornstarch until just combined.
- Beat in the egg and 2 tbsp. of the sour cream.
- Add ginger, 1 1/2 tsp. lime zest and lime juice and beat until just combined.
- Pour mixture over the crust and smooth the top with a spatula.
- The cream cheese layer will only be about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake until a tester comes out nearly clean, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, but maintain temperature.
- Whisk together the remaining 5 tbsp. sour cream, 2 tsp. sugar and 1/4 tsp. lime zest in a small bowl, then spread the mixture over the top of the cream cheese layer.
- Return pan to oven, bake 5 minutes more.
- Remove and let cool in the pan; then refrigerate for at least three hours or overnight.
- Cut into 12 bars and garnish with julienned lime peel if you prefer.
NotesThis recipe is from the food section of my local paper. These bars get rave reviews!
Thanksgiving With The Singing Vegan
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!See More
Bacon Wrapped Mushrooms
Spicy Chicken Ranch Hot Dip
Big Matt's babyback ribsSee More