- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup QUAKER® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Bartlett pear (about 1 medium)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly spray large cookie sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine dry ingredients, reserving 2 teaspoons sugar for topping.
- Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- In separate bowl, combine yogurt, egg whites and vanilla; mix well.
- Add to dry ingredients; mix just until moistened.
- Gently stir in chopped pear until evenly distributed.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of remaining sugar on each scone.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Serve warm.
- Recommended storage: Freeze completely cooled scones in tightly wrapped foil or freezer bags. To reheat, unwrap and microwave on HIGH about 30 seconds per scone.
NotesThis recipe is from the Quaker Oats website. I usually sub half of the flour with whole wheat pastry flour for a little more whole grain. These freeze very wrapped in plastic wrap and the foil.
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More