GINGER PEAR SCONES
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup QUAKER® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Bartlett pear (about 1 medium)
Heat oven to 400°F.
Lightly spray large cookie sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
In large bowl, combine dry ingredients, reserving 2 teaspoons sugar for topping.
Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles course crumbs.
In separate bowl, combine yogurt, egg whites and vanilla; mix well.
Add to dry ingredients; mix just until moistened.
Gently stir in chopped pear until evenly distributed.
Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto prepared cookie sheet.
Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of remaining sugar on each scone.
Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown.
Recommended storage: Freeze completely cooled scones in tightly wrapped foil or freezer bags. To reheat, unwrap and microwave on HIGH about 30 seconds per scone.