- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 ts baking soda
- 1/2 ts baking powder
- 1/4 ts salt
- 2 ts ground ginger
- 1 ts ground cinnamon
- 1/2 ts ground cloves
- 3/4 c margarine, softened
- 3/4 c water
- 1/2 c molasses
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
- Stir in margarine, water and molasses until well blended.
- Divide batter among the 5 jars (they should be about 1/2 full).
- Place jars onto a cookie sheet or they'll tip over.
- Bake in preheated 325-degree oven for 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Move the jars around in the oven while they're baking, so they'll bake evenly.
- Have your HOT lids ready.
- Using HEAVY-DUTY MITTS (the jars ARE HOT!)
- Take one jar at a time from the oven and place a lid on, then the ring.
- Tightly screw on lids--do it FAST because the lid gets REAL hot!
- Allow jars to cool on your countertop.
NotesSterilize 5 (12 oz) Ball Quilted Crystal (#14400-81400) jam/jelly canning jars, lids and rings by boiling them for 15 minutes. Remove
the jars from the water and allow them to air-dry on your counter top; leave the lids and rings in the hot water until you're ready to use them.
Once the jars are cool enough to handle, use a pastry brush to grease them with shortening (DO NOT use butter, margarine, PAM or Baker's Secret); set aside.