- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g/1lb 2oz onions, finely chopped
- 2 eating apples peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 750g/1lb 8oz streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 clementines or 1 orange, zest only
- 450g/16oz loaf gingerbread (or 2 smaller ones to give you 450g)
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Heat the butter and oil in a large wide saucepan. Add the onion and apple to the pan and cook until both ingredients have softened and turned golden in colour (about 10-15 minutes).
Add the bacon to the softened onion and apple mixture and mix well. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, for about five minutes. Then add the clementine or orange zest and mix well.
Remove the pan from the heat and set a side to cool a little.
Roughly cut the gingerbread into clumps and crumbs and add the pieces to the stuffing and mix well.
Add the beaten eggs and pepper to the stuffing, and press the stuffing into a buttered baking dish. Bake the stuffing in a hot oven with your turkey for about the last 45 minutes.
To serve, let the cooked stuffing sit in its dish for a good ten minutes after it has been removed from the oven, before turning it out on to a clean serving plate and slicing it.