- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 C cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp ground dried ginger
- 1 tsp ground fresh ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 C shortening
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2/3 C molasses or dark syrup
- 3/4 C sour milk or buttermilk
- Sift flour once and measure 2 cups.
- Add powder, soda, spices and salt and sift together 3 times.
- Cream shortening until fluffy.
- Add sugar gradually till light and fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses, stir to incorporate.
- Alternating flour and milk. Beat after each addition till smooth.
- Pour into a pan lined with Reynolds parchment paper.
- Bake @ 350' for 75 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream or lemon sauce. (make your own, or heat lemon curd over boiling water till it 'melts' - serve warm)
NotesJust a basic recipe that's been around for a long time...
I've added more ginger.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Lau Family Recipes
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More