GINGERED CARROT CAKE COOKIES
- Cooking Time: 16 to 18 minutes
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 3, peeled and trimmed)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans
1. Position oven racks in the upper-middle and lower-middle positions and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger and nutmeg.
3. With a stand or hand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy and smooth. Add the sugars and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then add the egg and beat for another minute. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the vanilla. Continuing on low speed, add the flour mixture in 2 or 3 batches and beat only until they just disappear into the mix. The dough will be very thick, but don’t overbeat to incorporate the flour. Using a rubber spatula, mix in the carrots, coconut, raisins and pecans.
4. Spoon about three heaping tablespoonfuls of dough (or use a large cookie scoop, which is what I did) onto the prepared baking sheets at a time, leaving about an inch of space between them. Using your fingers, every so slightly flatted the tops of the cookies.
5. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back at the midway point. The cookies should be light brown and only just firm on top. Carefully transfer the cookies to racks to cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.