- Cooking Time: 12 minutes
- Servings: 3 dozen
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening (I use butter flavored Crisco)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon star anise*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cream one cup of the sugar and shortening. Add the egg and molasses. Add the dry ingredients.
- Form the mixture into one-inch balls. Roll the balls in the remaining sugar and place them at least one inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 12 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on the cookie sheet until firm, then remove them carefully with a spatula.
- *you can find powdered star anise in many Asian grocery stores. I buy mine at Penzeys.
NotesI love gingersnaps, but the ones you find in a box at the grocery store are hard and leave an aftertaste. With this cookie, I've left out the clove, which can be overpowering, and replaced it with some of the same spices found in Chinese 5 Spice....spicy, but not too much. Crunchy, but not too much. These are perfect. :)