- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 36
- Preparation Time: 60
- 1 egg, separated, reserve egg white
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold LAND O LAKES® Butter
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 8 to 10 medium (8 cups) tart cooking apples, peeled, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 reserved egg white
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- For Pastry:
- Heat oven to 350°F. Beat egg yolk in small bowl. Add 1/2 cup milk; mix well. Set aside.
- Combine flour and salt in medium bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in egg yolk mixture with fork until dough forms a ball. (If pastry dough does not form a ball easily, add up to 1 tablespoon additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.)
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll out half of dough on lightly floured surface into 15x10-inch rectangle; place onto bottom of ungreased 15x10x1 inch jelly-roll pan. (To easily transfer pastry to jelly-roll pan, fold pastry in half; fold in half again. Place folded corner at center of pan. Unfold pastry carefully.)
- For Filling:
- Sprinkle with corn flakes; top with apples.
- Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg in small bowl. Sprinkle over apples. Roll remaining half of dough into 15 1/2x10 1/2-inch rectangle; place over apples. (Top pastry should be rolled on lightly floured surface slightly larger than bottom pastry to allow pastry to cover filling easily.)
- Beat egg white with fork until foamy; brush over top crust.
- Combine remaining cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar in small bowl; sprinkle over crust.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For Glaze:
- Combine powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk for desired glazing consistency in small bowl. Drizzle over warm bars.
NotesThis all-time favorite crowd pleasing treat is apple pie in bar form.
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Cooking for a family in Korea: notes of an ex-pat wifeSee More
Baked Avocado Brunch
Japanese Carrot Ginger Dressing
Beef , Tomatoe And Cabbage CasseroleSee More