- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 lb fresh Brussels Sprouts…pick out the smallest ones…try to have uniform size.
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 x 3" strip of orange peel
- Heavy pinch of Kosher or sea salt
- Water to cover
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, julienned
- 1 small sweet red pepper - ½ “ squares
- 8-10 fresh snow peas - julienned
- 1 T sesame seed
- Red pepper flakes to taste - start with a pinch
- 2 T dark brown sugar
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 T melted unsalted butter
- Top with:
- 3-4 strips of bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
- Cut the sprouts in half - through the stem -
- put them in a saute pan along with the bay, cloves, peel and salt.
- Add enough water to barely cover and cook gently till sprouts are crisp/tender.
- Drain and discard water and aromatics.
- Cover sprouts to keep them warm.
- In the same pan, saute next 6 ingredients till onions are barely transparent.
- In a small bowl, whisk together glaze ingredients till smooth.
- Add sprouts to pan, and stir to combine - add glaze, stir gently as you bring to a boil - turn off heat, continue stirring till boiling stops.
- Turn into serving bowl and top with bacon crumbles.
NotesThis recipe was given to me by Ruth in NC. Her DS and DIL both hate Brussels sprouts, but both have a bit of food snobbery…since baby veggies are being served in fine dining establishments, she told them they were baby cabbages… and yes…it is one of their favorite veggies when they visit Mom.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for BreakfastSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More