GLAZED BABY CABBAGE
- 3/4 lb fresh Brussels Sprouts…pick out the smallest ones…try to have uniform size.
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 x 3" strip of orange peel
- Heavy pinch of Kosher or sea salt
- Water to cover
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, julienned
- 1 small sweet red pepper - ½ “ squares
- 8-10 fresh snow peas - julienned
- 1 T sesame seed
- Red pepper flakes to taste - start with a pinch
- 2 T dark brown sugar
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 T melted unsalted butter
- Top with:
- 3-4 strips of bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
Cut the sprouts in half - through the stem -
put them in a saute pan along with the bay, cloves, peel and salt.
Add enough water to barely cover and cook gently till sprouts are crisp/tender.
Drain and discard water and aromatics.
Cover sprouts to keep them warm.
In the same pan, saute next 6 ingredients till onions are barely transparent.
In a small bowl, whisk together glaze ingredients till smooth.
Add sprouts to pan, and stir to combine - add glaze, stir gently as you bring to a boil - turn off heat, continue stirring till boiling stops.
Turn into serving bowl and top with bacon crumbles.