Glazed Lemon Zucchini Muffins (or Bread)
BREAD OR MUFFINS
3/4 cup all-purpose
4 Tbsp cornstarch
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs equivalents (2 Tbsp whole flaxseeds blended with 6 Tbsp of water)
½ cup canola oil
1⅓ cups sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
½ cup buttermilk (your choice of milk, soy milk or almond milk to which you add 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar)
zest of 1 lemon (optional)
1 cup grated zucchini, pressed between your hands to drain the most water you can
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp milk (your choice of milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc.)
1. Mix flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs (or egg equivalents). Then add oil and sugar until well blended. Add lemon juice, buttermilk, lemon zest to this mixture and blend all together.
3. Fold in zucchini until it is mixed well.
4. Add dry mixture to the wet mixture and blend all together until well combined.
5. Pour batter into lined muffin tin
6. Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes- until toothpick comes out clean.
While still warm, make glaze and spoon over the muffins. Let the glaze set up before cutting and serving.
Pairs Well With
FEATURING: Zucchini (or pattypan squash)
Rachelle shared with me this recipe (http://lilluna.com/glazed-lemon-zucchini-bread/) which I only slightly adapted below. This is yet another zucchini bread recipe, albeit with a twist. The lemon gives a nice quick to the bread and the lemon glaze, although optional, really brings a nice humph. You could reduce the sugar a little if you want. After you grate the zucchini (either fine or medium with a cheese grater) and measure it, just press it between your hands over a bowl or the sink to drain most of the water out (to avoid the bread or muffins to be too runny). You can use real lemon juice or bottled lemon juice.
- If you make loaf bread (makes one 9x5 bread), bake for 40-45 min at 350F, until golden brown.
- If you have cake flour: Replace the 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and 4 Tbsp cornstarch with 2 cups of cake flour.