- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons chilled whole milk
- 1/4 cup strawberry jelly
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled, cleaned and halved lengthwise
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, cake flour, salt and sugar in a food processor.
- Add the butter and process using about 6 on-off turns, until the mixture forms pea-size lumps. With the machine running, add the milk and process until large, moist clumps form and the dough holds together.
- Gather the dough into a ball and flatten it into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour before rolling. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead and kept refrigerated.)
- Lightly flour the rolling surface and roll out the dough to an 11-by-11-inch square.
- Trim the edges so they are straight and even. Transfer the square to the baking sheet.
- Cover with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the parchment paper and continue baking until the edges of the crust are lightly browned, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 10 to 15 minutes, then slide the parchment paper and crust onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the topping:
- Melt the jelly in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Leaving a 1-inch plain border all around and using a pastry brush, brush about 2 tablespoons of the jelly over the crust.
- Arrange the strawberry halves in rows, cut side down, over the jelly; overlap them to cover completely.
- Carefully brush the remaining jelly over the strawberries.
- Serve or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to a day.
- Use a large, sharp knife to cut the strawberry-covered pastry into 6 pieces.
- Use a large spatula to slide each square onto a serving plate.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More