- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons chilled whole milk
- 1/4 cup strawberry jelly
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled, cleaned and halved lengthwise
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, cake flour, salt and sugar in a food processor.
- Add the butter and process using about 6 on-off turns, until the mixture forms pea-size lumps. With the machine running, add the milk and process until large, moist clumps form and the dough holds together.
- Gather the dough into a ball and flatten it into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour before rolling. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead and kept refrigerated.)
- Lightly flour the rolling surface and roll out the dough to an 11-by-11-inch square.
- Trim the edges so they are straight and even. Transfer the square to the baking sheet.
- Cover with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the parchment paper and continue baking until the edges of the crust are lightly browned, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 10 to 15 minutes, then slide the parchment paper and crust onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the topping:
- Melt the jelly in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Leaving a 1-inch plain border all around and using a pastry brush, brush about 2 tablespoons of the jelly over the crust.
- Arrange the strawberry halves in rows, cut side down, over the jelly; overlap them to cover completely.
- Carefully brush the remaining jelly over the strawberries.
- Serve or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to a day.
- Use a large, sharp knife to cut the strawberry-covered pastry into 6 pieces.
- Use a large spatula to slide each square onto a serving plate.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Simple Homemade Favorites
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More