- Cooking Time: 90 includes boiling time
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 whole chicken boiled (salt & pepper to taste)
- 4 to 5 cups self rising flour
- 1 can swanson's chicken broth
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 stick butter
- 1 - 2 cups regular flour ( this is just for rolling out dumplings)
- Total Prep and cooking time is about 1 and 1/2 hours and this includes boiling chicken and rolling and dropping dumplings, as well as deboning the chicken.
- Boil chicken, remove from pot, ( I use a 5 quart stock pot) Reserving chicken stock for boiling the rolled dumplings in.
- In a large mixing bowl mix self rising flour with the can of chicken broth using a wooden spoon (dough will be like a sticky bisquit dough)
- On a pastry sheet or counter top (sprinkle with regular flour) spoon out two large spoon fulls of dough onto floured pastry sheet, sprinkle again with flour, rolling dough with a rolling pin to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into strips, and drop into boiling reserved chicken stock. The dumplings will rise to the top of the boiling broth. Continue to roll and cut dumplings until all dough is used and dropped into boiling broth. Let boil about 15 to 20 minutes. Add 1 stick butter and one can evaporated milk. Debone chicken and drop into dumplings that have cooked about 20 minutes. Turn burner off and let set about 15 minutes. Serve while hot.
NotesThis is my mom's recipe. Easier than rolling canned bisquits anyday. Everyone who has ever tried these chicken and dumplings thinks that I have slaved for hours. The hardest part of this recipe is deboning the cooked chicken.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Lau Family Recipes
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El JefeSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More