Glorious Carrot Bread with Fontina Champagne Mustard Spread
Ingredients for Bread:
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons bread flour
6 tablespoons barley flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon quick-rising active dry yeast
3/4 cup fresh carrot juice
Ingredients for Fontina Champagne Mustard Spread:
8 ounces fontina cheese, finely grated
3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon champagne dill mustard
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Garnish: fresh dill
Directions for Bread:
1. In a medium bowl, combine bread flour, barley flour, salt, and yeast, stirring well. Add carrot juice, stirring well with a wooden spoon. (Dough will be slightly sticky.)
2. Shape dough into a ball, and place in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm (85 degree) place, free from drafts, for 12 to 18 hours. (The dough is ready to work with anytime after 12 hours.)
3. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead several times. Divide dough into 3 equal portions, and place each in (4-1/2-x-2-1/2-inch) tart pans. Cut 3 diagonal slits across the top of each loaf. Let rise in a warm (85 degree) place, free from drafts, for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place a baking pan with boiling water in the oven on the lower rack. Place the tart pans in the oven on the center rack. Bake until just golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, and let cool in pans for 5 minutes. remove from pans, and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Directions for Fontina Champagne Mustard Spread:
1. Meanwhile, in the work bowl of a food processor, combine cheese, green onion, mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, and pepper, pulsing until mixture is nearly smooth, approximately 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Roll cold cheese mixture into 1/2-inch balls, and flatten slightly. Garnish each cheese circle with fresh dill, if desired. Serve with sliced Carrot Bread.