- Cooking Time: 12 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Ingredients for Bread:
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons bread flour
- 6 tablespoons barley flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon quick-rising active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup fresh carrot juice
- Ingredients for Fontina Champagne Mustard Spread:
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon champagne dill mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh dill
- Directions for Bread:
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine bread flour, barley flour, salt, and yeast, stirring well. Add carrot juice, stirring well with a wooden spoon. (Dough will be slightly sticky.)
- 2. Shape dough into a ball, and place in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm (85 degree) place, free from drafts, for 12 to 18 hours. (The dough is ready to work with anytime after 12 hours.)
- 3. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead several times. Divide dough into 3 equal portions, and place each in (4-1/2-x-2-1/2-inch) tart pans. Cut 3 diagonal slits across the top of each loaf. Let rise in a warm (85 degree) place, free from drafts, for 1 hour.
- 4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place a baking pan with boiling water in the oven on the lower rack. Place the tart pans in the oven on the center rack. Bake until just golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes.
- 5. Remove from oven, and let cool in pans for 5 minutes. remove from pans, and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Directions for Fontina Champagne Mustard Spread:
- 1. Meanwhile, in the work bowl of a food processor, combine cheese, green onion, mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, and pepper, pulsing until mixture is nearly smooth, approximately 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2. Roll cold cheese mixture into 1/2-inch balls, and flatten slightly. Garnish each cheese circle with fresh dill, if desired. Serve with sliced Carrot Bread.
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More