- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe inspiration of this recipe came from a Vegetarian Times Magazine for Veggie Burgers. However, because I needed Gluten Free, I eliminated a key ingredient, bread crumbs, that kept the mixture together in patties. I modified the recipe a little more (adding more lentils for bulk, eliminating some other spices), and came up with this simple crumble that can be seasoned however you like from sweet to savory.
- 1 cup (dry) lentils, cooked and drained
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp olive oil
- Saute onions and garlic in a tiny bit of the olive oil until soft.
- Combine garbanzos, onions, garlic, eggs and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix the lentils, any herbs or spices you like, and garbanzo mixture together until well blended.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan or wok and brown the crumble, breaking it up as you would scrambled eggs or ground beef so that the majority is brown on both sides.
- Serve on bread (for those not on a gluten-free diet) or on large pieces of grilled eggplant with your favourite hamburger toppings