- Cooking Time: about 4 minutes
- Servings: about 12 pancakes
- Preparation Time: about 5 minutes
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (2 tablespoons if making it without the chocolate)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips to taste
- 1. Preheat a non-stick griddle. If you decide to use a skillet, move this step to last.
- 2. In a large measuring cup, measure out 1 1/2 cups buttermilk.
- 3. Add 1 cup white rice flour and mix with spoon until combined.
- 4. Place this mixture in the microwave and heat on high for one minute.
- 5. Remove from microwave and stir. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- 6. Combine in a small bowl the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- 7. In another small bowl, beat the egg with two tablespoons vegetable oil.
- 8. After five minutes, add the small bowl of dry ingredients to the rice flour/buttermilk mixture. It will bubble up. Just stir until combined (don’t beat it down).
- 9. Add the egg mixture. Stir to combine.
- 10. Add chocolate chips, if desired.
- 11. If your griddle requires oil, oil the griddle.
- 12. Pour the pancake batter onto the griddle.
- 13. Flip the pancake when the top of the pancake is completely bubbled. Remove to a serving plate.
- This pancake is pretty sweet with the chocolate chips, so I just sifted confectioner’s sugar on top. You could also sift a mixture of cocoa and confectioner’s sugar. If you really like things sweet, top it with a chocolate syrup. It would also be equally good topped with fresh fruit and whipped cream!
NotesI've been researching gluten-free baking for my website and came across a different method for baking. This particular recipe is not a part of that research, but adapted from another recipe I found this summer. Unfortunately, I don't remember where. But for batter type recipes, you can warm the rice flour in the liquid (used in the recipe) for a few minutes and it will help get the grit out of the rice flour. I was happy with the way this recipe turned out.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
50 Shades of TasteSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More