Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Why I Love This Recipe
I've been researching gluten-free baking for my website and came across a different method for baking. This particular recipe is not a part of that research, but adapted from another recipe I found this summer. Unfortunately, I don't remember where. But for batter type recipes, you can warm the rice flour in the liquid (used in the recipe) for a few minutes and it will help get the grit out of the rice flour. I was happy with the way this recipe turned out.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 cup white rice flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar (2 tablespoons if making it without the chocolate)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips to taste
1. Preheat a non-stick griddle. If you decide to use a skillet, move this step to last.
2. In a large measuring cup, measure out 1 1/2 cups buttermilk.
3. Add 1 cup white rice flour and mix with spoon until combined.
4. Place this mixture in the microwave and heat on high for one minute.
5. Remove from microwave and stir. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
6. Combine in a small bowl the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
7. In another small bowl, beat the egg with two tablespoons vegetable oil.
8. After five minutes, add the small bowl of dry ingredients to the rice flour/buttermilk mixture. It will bubble up. Just stir until combined (don’t beat it down).
9. Add the egg mixture. Stir to combine.
10. Add chocolate chips, if desired.
11. If your griddle requires oil, oil the griddle.
12. Pour the pancake batter onto the griddle.
13. Flip the pancake when the top of the pancake is completely bubbled. Remove to a serving plate.
This pancake is pretty sweet with the chocolate chips, so I just sifted confectioner’s sugar on top. You could also sift a mixture of cocoa and confectioner’s sugar. If you really like things sweet, top it with a chocolate syrup. It would also be equally good topped with fresh fruit and whipped cream!
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Pancake