- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 40
- Preparation Time: 20
BackstoryWe created this recipe to learn more about garbanzo bean flour and to incorporate more gluten-free baking into our lives.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup organic coconut palm sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups + 6 tbsp. Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- ¾ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 4 oz. bittersweet baking chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom, and nutmeg; stir until combined. Add in the cranberries and pecans and stir. Set aside.
- Place butter and sugars in a large bowl and blend until light. Add eggs and vanilla, blend until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and blend until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the dough to a garbanzo bean floured, work surface and knead until the dough just comes together (do not over knead). Add a little more flour if needed to the work surface. Divide dough into 2 equal sized halves, place halves onto the parchment or wax paper on the baking sheet. Shape each loaf into a 12-inch square or a rectangle, ½” thick loaf.
- Bake the loaves until they begin to crack and they are a uniform light brown. Approximately 35 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°.
- Once loaves are cooled, place on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each loaf on the diagonal into 20-24 pieces. We suggest making the cuts ½” wide. Remove the paper from your baking sheet. Place the cut pieces onto the baking sheet with one cut side facing up and the other cut side flat on the baking sheet. Bake for 11 minutes until lightly toasted. Rotate so the opposite cut side is facing up and bake for another 5 minutes until dry and crisp. Cool.
- Melt bittersweet chocolate in microwave until just melted, use a little butter if necessary. Using a spoon, drizzle over the cooled biscotti.
- *We fresh mill our garbanzo beans on our Wondermill 1-2 beans at a time and it makes wonderful fresh garbanzo bean flour