- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryLisa Cantkier of Gluten Free Find.
This was Recipe #13 in the 'Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid" event.
Lisa, thank you for sharing these berry-full cupcakes! Do NOT be put off by the seemingly involved instructions. These delicious little gems are super easy and are berry berry berry good! I almost died when I bit into the first one, and then thought I had been delivered to piggy heaven after the second. Yes! I admit, I devoured FOUR in one sitting on the weekend with some friends! We were all berry berry happy.
Check out Gluten Free Find for an A-Z for all things Gluten Free!
- Ingredients for cupcakes:
- 2 cups of all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup of rice milk mixed with 1 Tbsp of lemon juice mixed in well
- ½ cup filtered water
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 eggs or egg replacers
- 1 Tbsp natural vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Celtic sea salt
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- Ingredients for berry-full filling:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180 / 350° F.
- Wash berries. Set aside enough berries in a bowl (from each variety) to decorate your cupcakes later.
- Now make the berry filling by placing the remainder of the berries in a large bowl and mashing them. You can use a potato masher or a blender. With a blender, you only need to pulse a few times (to keep the filling chunky) and add the maple syrup to the filling and stir through. We'll come back for the filling later!
- Now, let's make the cupcakes!
- Mix the liquid ingredients (milk, oil, vanilla, eggs, water, maple syrup) in your stand mixer on a low speed until well combined.
- Mix in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt) and combine on a medium speed until mixed well.
- Line a standard muffin tray with cupcake cups.
- Pour cupcake mixture into cups (fill 1/3 of each cup).
- Then add about 1 ½ teaspoons of your filling to each cup (on top).
- After that, cover the filling with your cupcake mixture until cup is ¾ full.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- Test the cupcakes with a toothpick at 25 minutes and if it comes out clean, then they are ready. Otherwise, you can bake for about another 3-5 minutes.
- Let your cupcakes cool.
- Take about one cup of the filling and blend until smooth.
- Then take a frosting bag and put this liquid filling inside the bag.
- Use the bag to very slowly insert 1 or 2 teaspoons (depending on your sweet tooth) of liquid inside from the top of the cupcake. This adds a nice extra pop of flavour to each cupcake.
- Frost your cupcakes with whatever type of frosting suits your fancy. Very little frosting is needed because of the fruit and sweet maple syrup.
- Then add some of the berries you put aside to decorate the top of each cupcake to your liking.
- *These cupcakes can also be enjoyed as delicious, moist muffins without the icing, filling, and decorative toppings
- Makes approximately 1 ½ Dozen cupcakes